Do Seat Cushions Help Sciatica?
Do you experience pain radiating from your back, down through your hip, and down your leg, especially when you sit for long periods? If you answer yes, you probably have sciatica which is when there's pressure on the spinal nerve root.
Sciatica often occurs when a herniated disk or spinal stenosis or narrowing of the spine compresses a nerve. The solution for sciatica pain is primarily improved posture, and the right sciatica pillow for sitting can help.
There are expensive desk chairs with built-in support and pillows, but for much less money, you can alleviate sciatica pain on most chairs and seats with a well-designed sciatica seat cushion.
Here are some things sciatica pillows can do for sitting.
Improve Posture — Poor posture, including slouching and slumping, causes many health problems, from headaches to back pain, and a sciatica chair cushion can improve posture.
Relieves Pressure on Your Tailbone, Spine, and Hips - By leaving space under your tailbone, some sciatica pillows reduce the pressure on your entire spine. There is less compression and less pressure on the sciatic nerve with less stress.
Enhances Circulation – Better posture leads to improving blood circulation throughout the body. Good circulation increases the level of oxygen where it’s needed. More oxygen to the muscles increases your energy level, so you sit up straight. Muscles don't tire as easily with good blood flow you get by using a sciatica cushion.
Improves Digestion - Even your posture affects your digestion, so sciatica chair cushions or sciatica driving wedges indirectly improve your digestion. For good digestion, oxygen needs to flow through your abdomen and pelvic muscles.
In addition, a compressed stomach or straining muscles can cause poor digestion. By using a well-designed sciatica seat cushion, you sit up straighter and give your belly the room and oxygen it needs for proper breakdown of food.
How to Choose the Right Kind of Cushion for Sciatica Pain
Finding the best cushion to relieve sciatica pain can be challenging, but the right sciatica seat cushion, pillow, or wedge can provide tremendous relief. Here are a few things to consider.
Where You Will Use It
Some cushions work well for office chairs and others for car seats, easy chairs, or straight back chairs. If you mainly use it while driving, look for the best car seat cushion for sciatica.
Shapes include donut-shaped, V or U-shaped, and wedges. Some forms provide more lumbar support, and others reduce the pressure on your tailbone. A wedge sciatica cushion mainly promotes an inward curvature of the lower back to promote good posture and prevent lower back pain. A coccyx seat cushion, usually a U or V shape, has a cutout space under the tailbone to reduce pressure.
Some sciatica seat cushions last longer than others. Materials that flatten after a short period of use mean replacing the cushion sooner. Check reviews and warranties to determine how long the sciatica pillow will last.
External Cover Material
Polyester is used for covers more often than any other material. The advantages include stain and water resistance. Make sure the cover can be removed for washing. Suede is considered best for the exterior design of air-filled or inflatable seat cushion pillows. A high-quality suede can protect internal materials from damage but isn’t washable.
The most popular materials for cushions are liquid gel, silicone gel, air, memory foam, and high-density foam. The material should be supportive but not stiff and should retain its shape despite extended periods of use. Memory foam can support you while still contouring to your body for comfort. Gels keep you cooler and are sometimes used in combination with memory foams.
7 Best Seat Cushions for Sciatica
The ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion is made from a combination of orthopedic gel and memory foam, and it's an ideal coccyx cushion to relieve sciatica symptoms while sitting in an office or home dining chair.
- The contours fit your body and promote proper spinal alignment and healthy posture.
- This sciatica chair cushion is ergonomically designed for maximum support, ultimate comfort, and pain relief
- The superior quality gel has advanced heat response technology and keeps you comfortable even if you sit for hours.
- The non-slip rubber bottom keeps it in place, and the built-in handle makes it easy to transport, so you can use it in your car, while you travel, or at home.
- Remove the machine-washable zippered soft velour cover for easy cleaning.
Size is 17.6 x 13.8 x 2.75 inches
The ComfiLife Gel Enhanced Seat Cushion is excellent for any type of chair from home to office to car and plane. The contours make sitting with proper posture easier, and your hips are supported without pressure on your tailbone. Less strain on your spine means discs don't herniate and press the sciatic nerve.
The ComfiLumba Car Seat Cushion is made from a combination of reactive memory foam and a temperature-sensitive gel material. This sciatica cushion comes with a detachable leg extender that attaches via a hook and loop system to the front edge of the pillow to create a leg extender.
- This sciatica cushion for the car is great for either short or tall drivers and works for bucket to full-sized car seats. The detachable leg extender is especially useful in bigger cars and people with longer legs.
- The cutout or Lumba Gap takes the pressure off the driver’s tailbone, which helps prevent sciatica pain and makes driving for extended periods more comfortable.
- This sciatica pillow designed for driving measures 17" x 15.5" and is 3.5-inch high at the back and 1-inch at the front.
- The wedge shape puts your hips above your knees without putting your knees uncomfortably close to the steering wheel.
- The gel material keeps the cushion from overheating, and the memory foam is high density medium-firm support to maintain its shape.
- It comes with a convenient attach strap with buckle and a removable, machine washable velour cover.
- The non-slip surface on the bottom of the cushion keeps it in place when you move in or out of the car.
Similar to the ComfiLumba Car Seat Cushion described above, this version has a 4-D mesh cover with adjustable elastic straps you use to secure it to the car seat and a built-in carrying handle so you can take it with you when you travel.
- The 4-D fabric is breathable and allows air to circulate more freely, keeping you more comfortable. It doesn't come with the leg extender.
The optional, removable leg extender on the first option makes taller drivers more comfortable, and the slimmer 1-inch front height means legs aren’t too close to the steering wheel. The lower height at the front of both cushions also prevents numbness or tingling in knees, legs, and feet that can happen if circulation is cut off. The gel keeps the pillow at a more comfortable temperature.
The Sleepavo Gel Seat Cushion Memory Foam Chair Pillow is made with a special cooling gel to support your back and tailbone and relieve your back pain from sciatica. It’s a great orthopedic pad, suitable for larger people, office chairs, wheelchairs, cars, and plane seats.
- Cooling gel and high-quality memory foam to support your hips and back comfortably.
- It is ergonomically shaped into a U-figure with a cutout section so that the user’s tailbone sits above the seat’s surface.
- A washable 3-D mesh cover keeps the pillow from getting too warm as you use it.
- The bottom has a non-slip surface, making it stay in place.
- Wash in a washing machine and tumble dry. It’s zippered and is easy to remove.
- Convenient handles make it great for travel.
- Full three-year warranty against damage or defects
The Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion Pillow works for the car or at home, or for an office chair. You can sit longer without pain. It protects and supports the tailbone, back, and buttocks, allowing you to sit comfortably. The Everlasting Office Chair Cushion is made of 100% premium quality memory foam that conforms to your body and uses heat-responsive technology to keep you cool.
- The ergonomic “U” shaped cutout suspends your tailbone above the chair or car seat, which reduces pressure on your spine and allows you to sit up straight. Great size for travel, too.
- All materials are certified safe, tested by OEKO-TEX, and earned the Standard 100 label, showing that the pillows are entirely safe for human health.
- A breathable cover doesn't trap heat, so you sit comfortably and stay cool.
- Your choice of colors to match every décor: black, gray, royal blue, navy, red
- A non-slip rubber surface on the bottom of the cushion keeps it from sliding around under you as you shift positions or get up and down.
- Keep the cushion fresh and clean easily with the removable, machine washable, and dryable cover.
- The premium memory foam is comfortable and slow to rebound, so it doesn't flatten over time. Instead, the cushion returns to its original shape each time you use it.
The Everlasting Comfort Seat Cushion Pillow is great because you can use it in multiple places. It’s a good selection for relieving sciatica because of its superior memory foam and ergonomic shape. The cutout protects your tailbone and back.
The Cushion Lab Patented Pressure Relief Seat Cushion is made of extra-dense memory form, which supports your hips, and tailbone to relieve sciatica symptoms. This cushion works well for office chairs, car, home, or wheelchairs.
- The extremely dense charcoal memory foam stays soft and fresh while providing you with back support.
- An ergonomic design cradles your thighs and hips, so you sit straighter easily.
- The cushion’s shape improves your posture by helping you keep your spine straight. Your weight is evenly distributed, so it's comfortable for wheelchairs or long drives in the car.
- If you aren't completely satisfied, the company offers an easy, no-hassle refund.
The Cushion Lab Patented Pressure Relief Seat Cushion is great because the extra dense memory foam holds up. The charcoal in the material keeps the foam fresh. This is a terrific sciatica cushion for an office chair.
The Purple Ultimate Seat Cushion has a grid design that reduces pressure on your spine. Ideal for couches, easy chairs, and gaming. The grid distributes your weight evenly.
- Made in the USA
- The famous purple grid supports your body weight evenly and reduces the pressure on your spine to prevent sciatica pain.
- The hundreds of air channels in the grid and the temperature-neutral material keep you cool while you sit for long periods.
- The specially designed material is engineered to bounce back every time, so normal use doesn’t cause it to flatten. The hyper-elastic polymer is durable but gives the exact comfort you need.
- Easy Clean- Remove the cover to wash it in the washing machine and wipe the purple cushion with gentle soap and water.
- The non-slip surface on the bottom keeps the seat cushion from moving around as you move.
- Longer, wider, and taller than other Purple Cushions so it’s great for larger users.,
The Purple Ultimate Seat Cushion is great because it uses purple technology, and the size makes it great for couches and easy chairs. The purple grid is durable and provides excellent airflow to keep you cool. It's easy to keep clean because the cover can be washed, and the purple inner pillow hand washed.
#7. Bed Wedge Pillow
The Kӧlbs Bed Wedge Pillow is made of a Memory Foam Top and Jacquard Cover. It’s great for preventing and treating sciatica pain while in bed. Use it to recline against while reading in bed to reduce pressure on your tailbone. Put your legs up on it while you lie in bed to allow discs to reduce. By reducing herniated discs, you alleviate the pain caused by it pressing on the sciatic nerve.
- Comes in two sizes: 24” x 24” x 7.5” or 12”. Choose the size that works for you to prevent acid reflux, heartburn, and snoring or treat sciatica
- Contemporary design jacquard pillowcase that looks great in any room.
- The cover is easy to remove and wash.
- The top layer of the pillow wedge features a high-density, medical-grade, 1.5” plush memory foam. It’s comfortable and provides the perfect firmness for support.
- The wedge shape is ideal for elevating your head, feet, or legs. Elevating your head while sleeping or reading takes the pressure off your spine. Elevating your legs can reduce a disc that’s pressing on a nerve.
The Kӧlbs Bed Wedge Pillow is great because you can help prevent sciatica or reduce the pain from it by propping up your head and shoulders or legs and feet. It also helps with many other health problems, from snoring to acid reflux.
How Does a Bed Wedge Pillow Help With Sciatica?
By using a wedge-shaped cushion to prop up your legs with your knees bent. You reduce the pressure on the discs in your back and open your spine up to allow herniated discs to reduce. Lying on a wedge to read rather than sitting upright, also reduced the pressure on your tailbone and spine.
How Does Gel in Sciatica Cushions Help?
The gel in many sciatica chair cushions dispels heat and keeps you from overheating, becoming uncomfortable and slouching which can cause sciatica.
What Causes Sciatica?
One of the most common causes of sciatica is a herniated disc in the lower spine. Some people call it a slipped disc, although it doesn’t slip. Discs are the cushions between the vertebrae and if one of them in the lower part of the back bulges out and presses on the sciatic nerve, the result is pain in the back, hips, and legs. A sciatica cushion helps reduce the pressure on the discs so they don’t press on the nerve.