You have no items in your shopping cart.
Do you have an achy, breaky back? Does your job require you to stand or sit all day long? Or are you just worried that you have some kind of a developing spinal problem?
Here is what you should know, research suggests that an incorrect posture can lead to a lot of back problems, and of course, annoying back pains. In fact, low back pain is one of the most common job-related disability which contributes to the growing absenteeism in the workplace. It is not surprising actually, because reports say that 80% of adults suffer some kind of spinal or low back problems at some point in their lives. So, if you have back pain, you are not alone.
In this article, we will not try to diagnose if you have any back condition like scoliosis or whatever it is that is causing your back to feel sore. Here, we will talk about the common causes of poor posture, various ways to improve posture, seven best posture correctors for women, and ‘how to choose’ one.
By understanding some of the causes of poor posture, it will be easier to work on correcting them, so here are the reasons why:
- Age - As people age, our bodies become less flexible. How? One reason is the wearing down of the intervertebral discs on the spine. These discs work as a shock absorber, and if they are damaged, movement becomes difficult and painful. It also results in compression and shortening of the total spine length. Another reason is the loss of density in bones. This begins at menopause in women and contributes to poor posture.
- Improper Desk Set-up at Work - Poor ergonomics which includes the use of the wrong chair, inappropriate desk or chair height and lack of breaks causes misalignment on the spine. It happens when the structure slowly adapts to repeated poor posture every day.
- Sitting for Extended Periods - The spinal column is supposed to be S-shaped when viewed from the side. This is for an even distribution of weight as well as the flexibility of movement. The cervical region (neck) and the lower back (lumbar) should be curved slightly inward while the thoracic and sacral region has a gentle outward curve.
- Weight - Extra weight can cause additional stress in the back and cause the mid-section of the spine to pull the pelvis out of alignment.
- Using Heavy Bags - Carrying heavy bags results in a disproportionate shift of weight to a particular side of the body leading to spasms in the neck or back.
- Wearing High-Heels - High-heels causes the body’s center of gravity to change and push the body mass forward. This results in misalignment of the hips, spine and upper back, placing a strain on the lower extremities.
- Use of Ill-Fitting Undergarments - Ill-fitting brassiere affects the natural curvature of the spine leading to extensive slouching or hunching.
- Poor Nutrition - Lack of nutrients in the body such as calcium and other vitamins or minerals can affect bone and muscle health. If the body does not have adequate nutrients, the musculoskeletal system will degenerate and will lack the strength to maintain the body in a natural upright position.
- Pregnancy - As the tummy goes bigger during pregnancy, the center of gravity shifts. As a result, the body compensates by adjusting the posture. This condition, termed as lordosis, is an excessive inward curvature of the spine.
- Habit and Lack of Exercise - The primary cause of incorrect posture is associated with bad habits. As we spend more time in gadgets, we unconsciously bend and slouch over the devices with our heads at a very sharp angle. Incorrect alignment of the neck and spine results to muscle strains and stiffness of the back. Aside from that, instead of exercising, we sit for long periods browsing the web and swiping on social media. With lessened physical activity, bone tissues do not form well, and changes occur in bone tissues.
There are many ways to improve body posture. Here are the most effective ways to achieve good body alignment and proper posture:
- Have a Healthy Diet - Lean proteins, fresh fruits, vegetables, and foods high in calcium and other vitamins can help your body to have healthy muscle and bones that will support your back. Experts also recommend avoiding eating too many fatty foods because being overweight can affect the center of gravity which contributes to a bad posture.
- Make your Workspace Posture-Friendly - Adjust the height of your chair, table, and computer monitor to a comfortable level. You can also use a footstool to improve proper body alignment. A comfortable workspace will prevent bad habits and can reduce strains on back muscles and bones.
- Do Some Exercises - Exercise contributes to healthy bone growth and muscle strength. Neck stretches can do magic for your cervical spine. If you are working in an office environment, take five to ten-minute breaks and walk around to relieve pressure on your lower back.
- Get a Massage - Massage therapy can loosen tight muscles and help them relax. It also allows the back to be in a natural position and correct bad-postures.
- Use Back Supports - Back braces and correctors help break the habit of improper posture. It reminds the body the correct way of sitting or standing as it aligns back the muscles or bones in the right position.
The main goal of posture braces is to break the habit of poor posture and re-train the back structures such as muscles and bones to maintain proper body alignment and posture naturally. Posture braces guide a person’s shoulder, clavicle, and muscle.
It may be not comfortable during the first few hours, days or weeks especially for those who are accustomed to bad posture. However, over time, the posture corrector will alter and ‘re-train’ the muscles to remember the position unconsciously.
Before going through the pros and cons of the best back straightener for women, let us take a quick look at the top 7 posture corrector for women:
1. Easy Posture Corrector Brace
2. SpinalQ Rx For Men and Women Posture Brace by Alignmed
3. StabilityAce Back Posture
4. EquiFit ShouldersBack Lite
5. ITA-MED Posture Corrector
6. NeoTech Care Light Back Brace for Women
7. Mag Eyes BR1000 Body Rite Posture Pleaser
If you are seeking for ways on how to improve posture women, here are the seven most popular and most effective products. Following these reviews, you will find a section at the end that discusses essential things to consider when purchasing the best posture corrector for women.
The Easy Posture Corrector Brace is a highly-recommended back brace for women that helps improve posture and correct body alignment. It is an ergonomically designed back support that encourages posture by pulling the shoulders backward in a comfortable, therapeutic way.
This back brace is perfect for those who are in a tight budget but in need of breaking the habit of slouching. It works well in dealing with an improper back posture that is one of the reasons for having terrible back pains. It had pads that provide a comfortable fit under the clothes. What makes this brace the best posture corrector for women is its ability to pull shoulders upright and realigns the spine into a normal anatomical position. Indeed, this is an inexpensive solution to help long-term back pain management!
Alignmed markets SpinalQ posture jacket as a posture corrector, rehabilitation jacket for individuals with rotator cuff injuries, osteoporosis, poor posture, slap injuries, and other spine conditions. It features built-in lumbar and shoulder neurobrands straps that allow maximum stability and comfort. What makes this back brace for women unique from other posture correctors is that most insurance plans cover its cost!
- Made with high-quality, durable materials
- Does not irritate the skin or armpits
- With adjustable shoulder and back straps
- Can be used to treat various conditions and perfect for various back conditions
- Allows full range of motion
- Covered by insurance
- Easily concealable underneath the clothing
- Stomach slimming bonus
- Effective: breaks the habit of improper posture
- Available in eight sizes
- Expensive compared to other back braces for women
- Maybe a little bit too warm for summer months
- Some reports say that it is too tight
Maybe tight-fitting at first due to its full-body vest design but perfect for providing the right amount of support that is non-restricting. If you have extra budget to spend a little over the average price on back braces for women, this might be the right brace for you. Not that cheap but surely, you’ll still enjoy its effects in correcting your poor posture! No money to buy this fantastic product? Check if your insurance can cover it!
This back brace from StabilityAce has a comfortable design made with velvet and thick foam pads on some regions of the straps. It can be used by women and men who want to straighten up upper backs due to excessive slouching.
This posture brace is perfect for those who have problems with shoulder alignment and those who are prone to slouching. It has a figure-8 style design that assists the shoulder and clavicles to maintain an aligned position. In addition to correcting shoulder posture, you can also use this StabilityAce brace to address fractures, sprains, fibromyalgia, or collarbone pain.
ShouldersBack Lite is one of the top products manufactured by EquiFit. EquiFit is a company that builds and sells accessories and body supports for horse riders and horses. Knowing that good posture is essential in horseback riding, EquiFit founder came up with the idea of this back support.
- Comfortable to wear
- Well built and durable
- Can be adjusted for optimal fit
- With spinal padding and posture guide
- Insurance may cover the cost
- Available in five different sizes for women
- Must not be washed in a machine
- Not recommended for highly-active individuals
- Reports say that the spine support is a little bit restraining
This NeoTech Care Light Back Brace for Women provides a maximum level of support. It has an elastic side that can be pulled to provide an adjustable fit and compression to the lower back.
Body Rite Posture Pleaser is manufactured by Mageyes. This company started in 1992 when the founder decided to provide products serving the personal aid industry.
This product is not your average figure 8 back brace for women but a back straightener designed with a counterbalance style to help equalize the body’s center of gravity. It hangs down over the back but attaches at the area around the shoulder.
One of the setbacks this product has is that it is not washable. This means that it can easily get dirty especially in summer months so it will not be an ideal choice for those who sweat a lot. However, it is well-built and is effective in pulling the shoulders back and in aligning the head with the shoulders.
It made the list because this product works well for individuals who suffer from a head forward posture, which is not offered by other back supports for women.
Here are some of the vital factors that you should consider in buying the best back brace for women:
Be wise in choosing the best posture corrector for your back. If it is expensive, it does not immediately mean that it is the best among the best. Some back braces are just low-cost because the brand may not be as popular as the others. Remember that there are many posture correctors that are affordable yet very effective in doing its job. Likewise, you cannot buy products that are too cheap but not durable and effective. The solution, read reviews such as this so you’ll have an informed decision before spending for a back brace.
Back brace for women come in a variety of styles, sizes, colors, and materials. Many braces have a backpack-like strap. Some have a flexible spine, and others have a t-shirt like a garment for complete back support.
When looking for a posture support braces, the first thing to do is ask yourself ‘what do you need it for?’. Is it for your upper back, mid-back, or lower back?
If you do not have a prescription, analyze what type of back brace can help your condition so you can purchase the ideal back support without having any problems. By knowing various styles, you will be able to distinguish which one might work for you.
One last factor that you should never forget to check is how easy it is to use the product. Although you cannot personally try the products that are available online, you can read reviews from other verified consumers.
You should check if the posture corrector can be used with ease. A good posture corrector is something that won’t restrict your movement, but instead, it should be something that you can use to move around normally.
Braces and back supports are designed to guide the back in re-learning proper body posture. They are supplements and are not intended as a permanent solution that you can wear 24/7. They are not crutches that should be kept in place until the affected part is totally healed. In most cases, they can be worn between half an hour to a couple of hours each day.
If it is your first time to use back support, start wearing it for ten to fifteen minutes then gradually increase the duration of use.
If used for a whole day every day, you will not get as much as muscle strength and development because the body will just rely on the back support.
There may be a debate surrounding posture correctors because some believe that it weakens the muscles. While it may be true in some cases, many individuals who developed a lousy posture from slouching over devices claimed that they benefited a lot from posture braces.
The important consideration that we like to let our readers know is that every condition is unique and what may work for an individual may not work for the other. We also recommend seeking some advice with a family physician before deciding on buying a specific type of brace.
This buying guide contains unbiased reviews and tips to help you attain the posture that you want to have with the use of back supports. We hope that you enjoyed reading this and please don’t forget to share this with your friends and family!